Where Bassline Jo’Burg
When Tuesday 8th June
Doors open at 8pm
Tickets are R70 at the door
Johannesburg: World musician Pops Mohamed successfully launched his latest album Society Vibes_Fast4WD>> at the Bassline in May to an excited crowd. Now the unofficial minister of music returns to the venue on the 8th of June 2010 to once again administer music therapy and this time he will be helped by interpretation group Strings ‘n Skins.
Pops decided not to rush the recording and completion of Society Vibes_Fast4WD>>, and the result is a soothing, enveloping and peaceful collection of poems, instruments and poignant lyrics commenting on society and life in general.
His performance with Strings ‘n Skins will undoubtedly be mesmerizing. Strings ‘n Skins explore sounds of North African and South African improvisational styles and translate their version of these styles through Afro-Asian hybrid beats played on traditional instruments.
Ashish, Greg and Walt make up Strings ‘n Skins, the trio have been jamming together officially since 1999. Together can play a collection of 18 instruments, including the Djembe, Zarb, Thunder Box, Sarod, Bozouki, Electric Guitar and drums.
They have combined their talents with Nemours groups and individual musicians to create different combinations of music. Their lists of conquests range from Marc Duby, McCoy Mrubata, Fethi Tabet, Gordons Suitcase to DJ Bob, Steve Newman, Wynand van der Walt, Brian Georgiades, Francoisa Chambroud, Antony Crawthorn Blazeby, Bernard Mdaweni and Madala Kunene.
For media and publicity queries, photo’s interview schedules, CD’s to reviews media accreditation please contact Rami or Zama on (011) 788 7632/1 or email: email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org.
* Pops has created 37 albums
* He has been nominated for a Best Jazz Fusion Album at the OKTV awards in 1991.
* In 1997 ‘Ancestral Healing’ won an award at the 3RD Annual FNB SAMA in the Best Traditional Jazz PERFORMANCE.
* In 1998 Pops Mohamed along with Bruce Cassidy, won the 4th Annual FNB South African Music Awards for The Best Instrumental Performance for their album ‘Timeless’.
* Strings ‘n Skins have two albums out: STRINGS&SKINS and PASSAGES IN TIME.